the home stretch...

D.W.Q.M.: "It takes all sorts to make a galaxy." -the Fourth Doctor

Ah, yes, we are coming to the end of the August blog challenge, so I thought I'd talk a little bit about a couple of things that are really important that make me happy. :)

The first, of course, is my family. :) Of course, now that I want to write about them I have complete writer's block. LOL.

Seriously, though-I have alot of happy memories of my family-weddings, reunions, graduations, picnics, the holidays, Sunday dinners.

How many have played a family reunion volleyball game, with, like, 20 people on each side? (ok, maybe only 15) At one reunion back in 1990, I remember we played guys against girls. One of my second cousins was serving-she served the ball, and her husband, who had casually walked onto the court, just stuck his arm out in mid-stride and the ball bounced off of it with such force we all had to run for cover. Family volleyball games are cool, 'cause even the smallest kiddies get to play. When we had gatherings at my Aunt's in Ham Lake, MN, I remember the volleyball net being 3 times my height, but I was still allowed to play. (I'm sure some would argue that I'm still quite short and the net is still way over my head. ;) )

Then there was the summer my grandma came down to Minneapolis on her birthday. It was one of the few times that I remember my grandmother coming to visit us. I remember we had made alphabet cookies and arranged them on a table so they spelled out 'Happy Birthday, Grandma!' Me, my sister and my cousins Christina, Jane, and Robin all stood in front of the table and as she walked in the door shouted, 'Surprise!!' She was very happy. :) (I think this was right after we had moved into our new house, but I'm not sure...)

Of course family gatherings usually meant Daddy's slideshows!!! My dad would take hundreds of pictures-but the joke was he only developed them into slides-so we rarely got to see them...except at family gatherings-it was like watching a movie of our past. :)

Nowadays it seems harder to keep in touch (even with things like email!) But we still try. My aunt makes it a habit to keep in contact with all the cousins-and my great uncle still sends out family newsletters at Christmas. Although at times, communication seems sparse, my sister still keeps me informed with milestones with my neices and nephew. (hey, the door swings both ways on this one-I'm just as guilty of not calling-but it's so hard to get ahold of her! And vice versa, I'm told. ;) )

And of course-talking to my mom always makes me feel better. :) Yay, Mom!!!

no, I did not forget the second thing-that is for tomorrow. :) (I hope!) ;)

Comments