In Memory

My favorite uncle passed away yesterday. I don't think the reality of it has really sunk in yet, as I am in Ohio, several hundred miles from Minnesota. I found out last night after I got home from a friend's baby shower (which I promise to write about later, maybe in a couple of days). My Aunt Pat had called-they were trying to get ahold of my mother,who was still with my sister, and no one seemed to have the right phone number for my sister. Someone did manage to find the right number, as the next message I had was from my sister, telling me to call home right away. I don't feel like going into anymore details here, but I'm sure you can understand that.

Instead, I would like to share with you why Uncle Johnny was my favorite uncle, and why he was so important to all us. I was once asked who my heroes were-I replied, my Mother and my Uncle John. :)

When my grandfather was alive, he used to build things for his grandchildren-for example, my cousin Christina had a little kitchen cabinent and counter for her to play house with (it now resides with my mom, and Boo uses it when she visits) By the time I was born, my grandfather was no longer able to do those kind of things. My mom had asked my Uncle John if he would build something for me-and he built me a little rocking chair. Years later, when Boo was, I think two, he built her a rocking chair for Christmas. :)

My Uncle was also one of the most positive people I know-he survived both open heart surgery and was a cancer survior (lung cancer). He always remained upbeat-it was never about if he got better, only when. He also had a sense of humor, too. While he was having outpatient chemo for his cancer, he used to wear these outrageous hats-he had a pretty good collection of crazy hats. One of his favorite stories (and mine) was once he went in for his chemo, and he had a baseball cap that had a fake grey ponytail attatched to it. He checked in with the nurse, and she reached under the counter and handed him a hair net and told him he would have to put it on. He just shrugged, said okay, and took off his hat. In his words: "Here I was, bald as a cucumber!!" (while rubbing his head) The nurse was so embarrased and immediately apologized, but he just laughed and said it was okay. He was very amused. Even when his health slowly began to fail and he had to keep an oxygen tank with him all the time, he still remained upbeat. He used to say that he could tell when people were keeping him in their thoughts and prayers, because he could feel the positive energy. :)

Family was very important to him- his own, and his extended. I can't even begin to tell you the number of times he's been there for all of us. When my brother died, he was there for us, made sure my mom was okay, and even offered my mom the family plot next to my grandparents and my aunt (my mom and uncle's younger sister). Whenever I was in town, he always tried to make sure and visit me before I left.

I am sad that I won't be able to make it up for the funeral, (I wish I didnt' live so far away.) I am really glad that I got to see him at Christmas.

I will be okay- Perseph and Paul have been keeping me company, and I've talked to my mom and sister-they are doing okay, and say that my Aunt Jan, my cousins, and their children have been handling it really well. It wasn't unexpected, but it still seems a little shocking when it does happen. At least now I know he is no longer in pain, and he is at peace.

I don't think I did him nearly enough justice with this entry, but at least you have some idea of what he meant to me, and to all of us. :)

Comments