Starry Nights

D.W.Q.M.: "We are being dragged towards a relative continuum displacement zone." -the Fourth Doctor

Okay, I know it's really late, so that's why I'm writing it at home now (about 2am) and posting it when I get into work-the connection is much faster there-trying to post at home would just add on another half an hour-and I'm already up too late! ;) (yeah, those who know me are saying, 'well, this is normal for you.' I'm trying to get to bed earlier, really, I'm trying. ;) )

Well, almost everyone knows I get excited over the smallest things, so you won't be too suprised with this entry. As I was leavingP^2s home tonight (or last night, since it's really Friday morning now) I spotted a meteor just as I walked out the door! The sky was unusually clear for Cleveland, and the meteor was very bright in the sky. November is the time for the Leonids, and they officially peaked the morning of the 18th, which was unfortunately cloudy here in Cleveland. There was going to be another possible peak the early mornign of the 19th, since the Earth would be passing through the 1533 dust trail of Comet Temple-Tuttle (the source of the Leonids), but once again, the sky was too cloudy. *sigh* So, knowing me, you could see why I would get so excited over seeing one meteor-I thoght I had missed seeing any of the Leonids. Yes, I know-even after it peaks, there's still a chance to see a few, but try to find someone who wants to go out looking for meteors after the peak-you won't find many. (I am one, of course-so if you ever want to go looking at all and want some company, just give me a call! ;) ) I did get to see the Leonids when they were at storm level a couple of years ago-it was absolutely amazing-I'll have to post about that sometime when I am in another reflective mood (look out!) ;)

As I mentioned in an earlier post, regions 486 and 488 of the sun are returning to the visible disk, and are showing potential for more solar flares. They will be renumbered soon. Region 501 (the region formally known as 484) has produced several M-class flares. So, what does this mean for the casual observer? There may be another chance to see some aurora displays sometime. ;) (hey! I did mention that I get excited over the smallest things) Also, it's late, and my brain has turned to mush. :-D

Just a couple of quick notes:
- Paul, yes, the star we were looking at was Sirius (ok, enter joke here_____.) ;) Also, I believe the constellation I was looking at and trying to name was Gemini.

-I was listening to WCLV this morning as I was getting ready for work and heard a version of the Anvill Chorus that sounded rather big-band/swing-ish. After the music ended, the announcer came on and said that it was an arrangement of the Anvill Chorus that had been originally performed by Glenn Miller. Well, no wonder! :) I didn't know you could swing dance to the Anvill Chorus. ;)

Scarf update: 434/830 rows
(I'm halfway there!)

Comments