Ahh...Winterfest...brrr!!!

...or, 'I shoulda stuck with the Wizard of Oz.'

D.W.Q.M.:The First Doctor: "Pretty soon we shall be having visitors."
Ben: "Visitors? What, 'ere? Well, who do you think's bringing them, Father Christmas on his sledge?"

Ah, the Christmas season doesn't start until you've frozen your butt off waiting for the Christmas lights downtown to be turned on. :)

I hope everyone had a happy Thanksgiving! Mine was pretty good, considering...just kidding, it was good. :) I have a pretty set way of how the weekend usually goes-Thursday morning I get up, turn on the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade, and during the commericals, make the stuffing and get the turkey ready for the oven. After the parade, I start the turkey and watch the Wizard of Oz while it is roasting in the oven. Then dinner, rest, clean up, dessert, and maybe a movie. Friday I get up early and brave the crowds, shop around, then in the evening, I head downtown for the beginning of Winterfest, with the lighting of the lights downtown. Saturday is spent putting away my Thanksgiving decorations and bring out my Christmas ones-and the rest of the day, and all of Sunday is spent decorating. Hey, it's worked for all the years I've been in my apartment!! :) :)

This year was different-for starters, Green Bay was playing at Detroit at 12:30pm on Thanksgiving day. My team playing on Thanksgiving? Well, duh! of course I had to watch! The Wizard of Oz forgotten, I sat down ready to cheer for my team. Unfortunately they lost. :( To Detroit. The worst team in our division!!! My sister called to gloat (this meant that the Vikings are even farther ahead...but they play tomorrow, so we'll see), but Persephone called to offer her condolences. (Thank you, Persephone!) So I felt better. The next unusual thing was the lighting ceremony downtown was moved from Friday to Saturday...what the hey? They never did give the reason for moving it. I don't think it was because of the weather-there's no way they could have predicted that the weather would be bad Friday-they just got lucky. ;) So all I got done today was putting my Thanksgiving stuff away, and I have two boxes of Christmas stuff out. Tomorrow I will be in a mad rush to put everything up and the boxes away before the gang comes over for the Simpsons. Otherwise we'll be playing Euchre on Christmas boxes instead of a card table!! (just kidding-i'll be sure to move the boxes out of the way if I'm not finished)

Winterfest was fun! It was cold, but most of the snow had melted from the night before, so it wasn't too bad. The performances before the lighting seemed a little bit longer this year-we saw the Singing Angels, actors from the show, 'A Very Plaid Christmas' (uh...i think that's the name-I've only heard it about a hundred times, so you'd think I'd remember...ah-ha! think again!), and the Broadway Kids. By the time Santa showed up to light up downtown, it was hard to tell if the crowd was dancing because they were excited, or dancing because they were freezing and just trying to keep warm. ;) The only complaint I have about the lighting is that they are still doing it in one shot-like someone flips a switch and all the lights came on. In the past, they've had wires hooked up to each of the main display areas, and then Santa points a finger and shoots what looks like a jolt of energy (thank you special effects! ;) ) and each of the display areas light up. It's pretty dramatic and really cool. Oh, well, can't have everything. The fireworks were cool-they started out with Mannheim Steamroller's version of 'Deck the Halls' and ended with the Trans-Siberian Orchestra's 'Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24' Really awesome, and I've come to believe that you can't have a Winterfest fireworks display without them! ;)

Oooh, speaking of other events during Winterfest-on Saturday December 13th, there is going to be a Carriage and Candlelight parade, followed by fireworks at Public Square. A parade of horse-drawn carriages that will end up in public square....plus fireworks!! Anyone in the Cleveland area who would like to join me, please let me know-I think it will be fun! Plus, there will be fireworks!!! (did I mention fireworks?) *heehee* :)

I can't wait for next Saturday-St. Nicholas Day. Persephone, Sharon and I will be making Christmas cookies! (and other goodies...like rumballs...if I can find my receipe!!) Anyone for Chai Nog? ;)

Better get to bed-I have a full day of Chirstmas decorating ahead!!! 'nite all! :)

Comments