The great digital divide...

D.W.Q.M.: "A question! Isn't anybody going to pay attention to that computer over there?" -the Third Doctor

For about three years now I've been listening to WCLV in the morning-one of the few radio stations with morning programming that doesn't annoy me, plus, I get to hear the BBC news every weekday. ;) Well, I also get to hear the Wall Street Journal report, and they reported something that really disturbed me... (no, it's not the economy...) What was it that bothered me so much? Apparently sometime next year, the film company giant Kodak will begin to start concentrating more on digital products, instead of "traditional" photography products. Now, I know digital is cool and all, but I have never been a true fan of the digital camera-I will admit, they are kinda cool, but at least for me, they take all the fun out of photography. What skill are you showing when all you do is manipulate an image to make it look perfect? I'm sorry, that is terribly unfair- I'm getting too worked up over nothing. I hope I didn't offend anyone who uses digital cameras on a regular basis! (and they have come in handy-thanks to Persephone, I will have some recent pictures from Italian band! and they come in real handy for pictures for websites-like i am currently working on. ;) ) I do believe it was reported that Kodak was going to start with improving laser printers or something, anyway...

Sometimes all this talk about digital this, electronic that starts to scare me. One of my dad's many hobbies was photography-he always purchased film in great quantities, (he was strictly a Kodak man, btw. ;) ), and would store the film in the freezer. He also always sent the film away to be processed, and always had them made into slides-it was a very rare occasion whenever he made prints. He used a manual camera (Pentax ME, just in case you are curious. :) ) and wouldn't just take a quick snapshot-he took great care in posing us, or framing the object of the picture just right, and enjoyed doing it. Someday I hope to have the patience (and time!) to do what he did...

It's not just photography going digital that bothers me. The new surge of eBooks, and all the money and emphasis the library would like to put on electronic resources. Hey, I dunno about you, but I actually like sitting a reading a book printed on paper. (not to mention that my job pretty much relies on books in print! LOL. ;) ) And then there are the movies, where special effects = CGI. I don't know where I remember reading it...probably online somewhere...but I had read that Ewan MacGreggor was getting a little bored with the filming of the Star Wars prequels, because most of the acting was done in front of a green screen. I also know a few people who despise the computer animated movies, too.

I guess when it comes to the divide between the digital and the non-digital, I am stuck somewhere in the crevice between the two! ;) I know this entry was pretty negative, but I don't want to give the impression that I hate all things digital (after all, I like looking at peoples pictures on their cameras, i use resources on the web, I love some of the special effects that are created using CGI, and dvds are way cool) I just don't want to have to rely on fancy digital stuff all the time. So am I confused or what? ;) (ahhh! run away! run away!)

*Romana quietly removes herself from her soapbox and slips into the TARDIS to log onto eBay to see about bidding on some electronic Stargate trading cards* ;)

ahh, i feel better now. :-D

Comments