Are you ready for some FOOTBALL?!?!

D.W.Q.M.: "The trouble with computers, of course, is that they're very sophisticated idiots." -the Fourth Doctor

My modem got fried Friday night...well, at least we think that's what happened. After celebrating Jerm's birthday just a little early at Buca di Beppo's (I did survive...no reprocussions for surprising him...yet... ;) ), the four of us (me, Jerm, and P^2) decided to play some euchre at my place. There were some pretty heavy storms that night, and lightning struck somewhere very close to my apartment. That sound that the thunder makes just as lightning hits close by is enough to make your heart stop!! When that happened, we all heard something in the dining room pop (that's where I have my computer), and we saw a flash-a quick intial check lead me to believe that nothing was amiss...so we continued playing. The only other exciting event for the night was the power went out for a couple of seconds.

The next day I try to get online, and I get a message that there is no dial tone!!! Arrrgg!!! I checked everything-the phone jack, the wire, the connections-nothing seemed to be wrong. Even went through that stupid diagnostic program-I say stupid because at the end it says it can't find anything wrong with the modem, so it wants you to click on the 'web help' button. Now how am I supposed to get online if my modem can't find a dial tone?!?! :p It was suggested that the lightning strike might have had something to do with it. My computer is hooked up to a battery backup/surge protector, but the phone line wasn't. Ahhh, I guess the joke was on me. ;) Well, just when I thought I would have to crank out $40+ for a new modem (my computer is only a 133-and modems seem to be more expensive for the older computers) we decided to try CompUSA, and found a cheaper modem that I could actually use!!!! It was a miracle!!! ;) It's hooked up to my computer now, and it WORKS!! Yippee skippy!! (also, now I have the phone line to the modem running through the surge protector) I've learned my lesson! 0-:-)

All the rest my troubles were washed away last night when I remembered that GREEN BAY was on Monday night football!!! WOO-HOO!!! Goooo CHEESE!!!!! Packers at the Bears-not only was it the Bears home opener, but it was the home opener in their brand spanking-new-expensive stadium-the first time the Bears have played in Chicago since the mid-90's...i think. Anyhoo, when Ahman Green took off and scored a touchdown within a few minutes of the start of the game, I knew it was going to be a good night for football (well, at least for me it was!! ;) ) *heeheee* Whenever the Packers are on tv, I forget that I am a SciFi geek, and become totally engrossed in the game...just ask the few who have actually seen me in this state. LOL. GOoooooo Packers!!!!!

Speaking of sports-the Twins are playing the Yankees right this very minute in the playoffs...GO TWINS!!!!!!

I am a Minnesota Twins fan and a Green Bay Packers fan, living in a town dominated by Indians and Browns fans. Yikes!! I will admit though-that I do cheer for the Indians (although whenever the Indians and the Twins play, I have to cheer for my hometeam)..but I've never cheered for the Browns...or the MN Vikings for that matter ..am I confused or what? :-D

In closing, all I have to say is, 'Not with those meatballs!' (Be sure to check out Persephone for the meatball story-hopefully she'll be able to write about it soon-but right now she's studying for the LSAT.) GOOD LUCK, PERSEPHONE!!! You will do a great job, I just know it!! :) :)

Comments