Uff-da, I should have stayed home! ;)

D.W.Q.M.: "But you can't rewrite history! Not one line!" -the First Doctor

Tomorrow all non-essential personnel at the library get the day off-the skeleton crew left behind will get a comp day, but I don't have to come into work tomorrow! Yay! This exciting day off was brought to you by the VP Debate held here tomorrow. Okay, I admit, I am getting a little caught up in the excitement...but not too much. ;) Originally the library was scheduled to close at 3pm tomorrow-it still is, but we got an email Friday from Joanne saying that the library will remain open with only the minimum needed to run circ, reference, and the computing resources from 8-3. Those who do have to work will get a comp day-that's cool.

I still haven't seen any Secret Service people wandering about, but I've been told they've been spotted on campus.

Anyhoo, I digress-I was actually thinking about taking today off, since I don't have to come in tomorrow-make it a nice long weekend. Well, I decided against it, 'cause I forgot to fill out the form on Friday, and I also forgot that my boss is at a conference today, so I couldn't call him this morning to request the day off. I probalby could've gone straight to administration and ask, but I decided against that.

Well, I should've stayed home! I get into work, and of course, the first thing I try to do causes problems (well, maybe not caused-but certainly hindered) I was trying to bring in this week's Approval load, and it got stuck. (no technical terms here-that's exactly what happened-it stalled as I was trying to bring it in) The next thing I know, one of the tech team came running down and said, 'whoever is attempting to load records, please stop!' D'oh! Well, that finally got cleared away, but just before lunch time, the system crashed again, and we are still waiting for it to be fixed. Good thing I remembered the book I'm reading. ;)

Well, since i have some time on my hands (as once again we can marvel at the wonders of your job relying almost 100% on a computer system), I decided to post. :)

The Doctor sent me a couple of interesting articles that I actually had the time to read...about the "original" Star Wars trilogy being released on DVD:
Pray He Doesn't Alter Them Any Further.. and
...So Be It, Jedi

Okay, I know that as it's creator, Lucas has the right to alter and change the movies anyway he wants to-they are, after all, his movies. But we as fans also have the right to dislike the changes, and to say why. :) (there's my disclaimer)

The world must be coming to an end-for I am becoming more and more disenchanted with Star Wars.

Correction-I still love Star Wars, just the versions that are slowly becoming more and more unwatchable as I run them through my VCR over and over again. What I don't like is where the franchise is going.

First of all, I will admit, I did like a few of the changes that Lucas made in 1997-the scene where Biggs and Luke meet on the Moon of Yavin, for one-and a bit more detail with some of the scenes from all 3 movies are cool. But when you start added extra sequences that blatantly say, 'oooh, look, i'm a totally new scene!' that's a bit much for me. (I wish I had some better way of describing that-sorry) I didn't care for the reworking of the end of Return of the Jedi-I happened to like the Ewok celebration. ...more on the end of Return of the Jedi later....

Another thing that bugs me-I'm not much for prequels. Especially for sagas that have been well established. Just ask anyone who's ever talked to me about Star Trek: Enterprise. Too much of a chance for inconsistency. I admit I was excited when Episode I came out-just because we would finally be seeing something new and StarWars, on the big screen! But then I actually started thinking about it. Backstory is nice and all, but then, the original trilogy looses something when you see Episodes I, II, and the forthcoming III, first. There is no mystery to who Darth Vader is... In Empire Strikes Back, when he tells Luke, "No, I am your father." It just isn't the same. I actually saw Empire with someone who had never seen Star Wars before-I remember hearing her gasp with horror at that scene. Now, when I get the chance to properly introduce my nieces and nephew to the original triolgy, I'm afraid they are just going to say, 'so what? we know that already.' Can you see where I'm going with this? Does anyone else feel the same way I do?

Back to altering the original trilogy-I hear that in the final scene of Jedi when Luke sees the ghosts of Obi-Wan, Yoda, and Anakin, the ghost you see of Anakin is not Sebastain Shaw, the actor who portrayed the dying Anakin, but of Hayden Christensen. WHAT THE....?!?!?! Dude, that is just SO WRONG, in SO many ways.

*bbbrrrrrfffffffff*

I need to bootleg my original VHSs onto DVDs, while they are still somewhat watchable. ;)

...next post is going to be a 100% happy post, I swear. :)

Comments