knitting away...it's a baby blanket!

D.W.Q.M.: "...Madame Nostradamus made it for me...witty little knitter..." -the Fourth Doctor

My second knitting project!! I promised Karen that I'd start posting my progress on the baby blanket that I am knitting for my sister, who is due in December. :)

I found the pattern I am using at Michaels-it was one of those free project sheets that they have around the store-found it while I was checking out their baby yarn. It said level 2 experience, so I decided to give it a shot. (livin' dangerously, yep, that's me!) ;) I had heard rumors...when I heard people say how hard it is to knit with baby yarn...boy, they weren't kidding!!! The stitching pattern is a little different from the straight garter stitch I used for the Doctor Who scarf (which I still need to post pictures of, I know-I'm sorry!). It took a while getting used to it, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. I'm more critical about my work on this one, since I'm actually making it for someone other than myself. The needles I am using are fricken' huge-US size 15!!! I brought my blanket into work yesterday to show my coworkers, and was working on it during lunch when my boss walked in while we were discussing the size of the needles-someone made a comment to him that he better not piss me off while I'm working on the blanket, cause I could do some serious damage with them if I wanted to. He looked at them, and laughed and said, 'oh, yeah'. LOL. My boss is cool like that.

Anyhoo, this blanket will be approximately 36 inches long when finished. I was told that I wasn't allowed to use blue or pink as a primary color, since we don't know if the baby will be a boy or girl. I'm using green, white, and a multi-colored yarn that is primarily blue, but it has some green in it, and i'm only using a little bit of the multicolored yarn in my pattern.

I was hoping to have it done by the end of the month, because my sister is having a baby shower (who says you can't have a baby shower for the second child? :) ) on November 6th, and I would like to send it to her by then. I think I started the blanket on September 19th, and I'm only about a third of the way through-so we'll see!

Blanket update: 12/36 inches. :)

Comments