Marcon 39, part 3

D.W.Q.M.: Brock: "His scarf killed Stimson!"
the Fourth Doctor: "Arrest the scarf then."

I decided I should try to write a little more about Marcon before I go on vacation next week-otherwise I'll get too far behind in my postings! *see previous entry. ;) )

Saturday, May 29th, 2004

8:50 am
The shrill sound of the alarm makes us all jump out of our beds. I had forgotten that we set the alarm for that time when we thought we'd have to register in the morning. Arthur was up and out within 10 minutes-reading to start his day of geekiness. He decided to wait until later to put on his costume (he was also planning on taking part in the masquarade-go Arthur!!) I decided to put on my costume right away. After Alicia and I had breakfast, we decided to wander around a bit. We left a message at the front desk for Karen, Chris and the girls, and then I headed up to the Farscape table and met fellow OhioScaper Julie-we had fun chatting and i picked up some postcards and temporary tatoos. That's when I had my first encounter with someone who also had a Doctor Who scarf! ;) After posing for a couple of pictures, Alicia and I headed up to the Dealers room to take a look around. I may have said this before, but when you go in costume, people will try to sell you stuff that they think might intrest you. ;) I did succumb a little bit, but not too much. ;)

After our trip to the Dealer's room I decided to head back to the room to drop off some stuff and Alicia decided to check out the anime and movie rooms. When I got back to the room there was a message from Karen saying that they had made it, so I grabbed K9 and caught up with them. Since the girls were under 7,they had 'Kids-in-tow' badges. They loved my scarf, so I let each one grab an end and tag along. We took 'kids-in-tow' quite literally. LOL.

Before I knew it it was time for the Doctor Who program I wanted to attend. I enjoyed the program very much! :) Although I already new most of what they were talking about the new series from reading Outpost Gallifrey, it was still fun to share opinions with everyone. (we have been assured that there are quality rock quarries in Wales, where they are filming the new Doctor Who stories-LOL.) Since Doctor Who was originally a childrens program, the panel asked us who had been watching since we were children. I was suprised that I was one of only a few (like less than 10 in a room of about 30 or so...) who had been. In retrospect, I really shouldn't have been. After all, Doctor Who didn't come to the States until the 1970s. I was born in the late 70s, and was watching with my mom and dad as soon as I was able to sit up. Most of the people in the room were several years older than me-they were teenagers when Doctor Who traveled across the pond. ;)

The Farscape panel was in the same room right after the Doctor Who panel, so I stuck around and was joined by Arthur, who had changed into his costume (and looked very good in it, btw!) As with the Doctor Who panel, I knew quite a bit about what they were telling us about the miniseries-but as before, it was fun to share opinions and talk scaper talk with fellow Scapers! Arthur enjoyed it so much he wanted to have a Farscape marathon when we got back to Cleveland. We still need to do that!!! I'm not sure when I'll have the time, but it better be before the miniseries hits the small screen!!!! ;) After the panel Arthur had to leave for pre-masquarade stuff, but I promised him we'd be there to cheer him on!!!

Since it had been 3 years since I went to the masquarade on time, so I forgot how long the line and the wait would be-we must have been waiting in line for a good hour before they finally seated us. The poor girls-they were getting quite ansty. It may have been tiring, but it wasn't a complete waste-we had fun chatting with people-we chatted, exchanged emails, and posed for pictures. :) By the time we were able to sit down, Karen and Chris decided that the girls should probably go to bed-so Chris took them up to the room. Good thing he did, too-'cause one of the costumes was pretty bad. This guy, who wisely remained anonymous, came out it this pink thing-it turns out he was representing the vag...uhhh, never mind-i'm sure you get the picture. Eewwwwwwww...Grooooooosssssss...

Anyhoo, back to the important part of the masquarade-Arthur came out dressed in his Babylon 5 uniform-he was an Earth Force Lieutenant who was angry at Sheridan for breaking away from Earth, causing hostilities that resulted in the deaths of his friends. I think he did a great job, and Alicia, Karen and I screamed our lungs out, cheering him on. I hope my pictures turned out. :)

While waiting for the judges to determine awards and whatnot, we were entertained by the Great Luke Ski (who performed 'Stealing Like a Hobbit-the number one request on Dr. Demento's radio program) and Tom Smith- two very funny filk performers. I'm starting to really enjoy filk! But more on that later.

Finally, after what seemed like, forever-the judges finished judging the costumes. Alicia and I both agree that Arthur got slighted-it seemed that everybody and their mother's uncle got awards except for Arthur and a few others. We don't care what kind of experts they think they are-your costume was awesome, Arthur!!!!

Since the judging took so long, we didn't get a chance to stop by the dance that night, 'cause we wanted to do some gaming at midnight. We ended up playing one of the looooonnnngeest games of Settler's ever. I swear the game didn't end until about 3:30am!!! ;) I think I won that game, but I was soo sleepy, I'm not quite sure. LOL. ;)

Comments