Marcon 39, part 2-the Costume

D.W.Q.M.: "Pity about the scarf. Madame Nostradamus made it for me. Witty little knitter...never get another one like it." -the Fourth Doctor

Not quite a week between entries-not too bad, but I need to try to keep up with my posts! ;)

*Warning:* This post is all about me, me, me! at Marcon. ;) I promise my next Marcon post will be about Saturday events.

Before continuing, I'd like to thank the following people:

To my Mommy: Thank you for teaching me how to knitt-without you, I'm not sure the scarf would have been a reality so soon!!! I'm also glad you got the chance to work on a little bit of it yourself. :)

To Suzanne and Sharlane: Thank you for lending me the (respectively) hat and vest for my costume.

To Persephone: Thank you for the material for the collar for Krismutt's K-9 costume! Not only did it add to the costume, but it helped hide the strings holding it together! :) Also, encouraging words, even though you probably had no idea what K-9 is supposed to look like, was helpful, too. :) *heeehee*

Ok, I think I got everybody...

I had decided that Saturday would be the day to wear my 4th Doctor Costume-I still wasn't sure how long I'd wear it, so I packed an extra tshirt and pair of shorts just in case. I decided to wear it Saturday morning when I got up, but I didnt' add 'K-9' until later in the afternoon. For those of you curious, this is what my costume consisted of: white long sleeved-shirt, khaki pants (no way was I going to go checkered, like the 4th doctor), brown shoes, a vest (not the same pattern as the Doctor, but it was close enough so people would get it.), a cowboy hat (no, not a 10-gallon hat-again, not the same, but close enough-I like the hat i used!), a TARDIS key that I had purchased at Marcon the year before (that was part of my decision to make the scarf-I decided I wanted to make a costume for Marcon 39), and the scarf that I made over the past year. Later in the day I added a bag of gummy bears ('Would you like a jelly baby?') 'cause Jelly babies are a little expensive, and Krismutt as K-9. I originally made a costume for Krismutt so I could do Krismutt pictures without looking too weird, but I'm glad I added him! I made him a little K-9 mask, with a sandwhich board-one side said K-9, and the other was a drawing to represent the buttons to K-9's computer-and a collar that said K-9 on one side, and the TARDIS on the other. ;)

I cannot even begin to tell you how cool it was to go in costume this year! It's so cool when people stop you to ask you about your costume, or ask to take your picture. One of my first encounters was when I was visiting the Farscape table-another girl very excitedly ran up to me-she had a scarf, too! She thought it was so cool to find people with Doctor Who scarves and asked if we could take a picture together. Well, of course I said yes! Later that morning, in the Dealer's room, I was stopped several times by different people who love Doctor Who-one person even tried to sell me some stuff from the show (ok, well, I guess I should have figured that would happen) Later, when I was walking around with Karen and the girls, each girl grabbed one end of my scarf, and we formed a train. (Brought a whole new meaning to their 'Kid-in-tow' badges. ;) *heehee*)
Around 1:30 there was a Doctor Who panel that I was late for, and I remember saying to Karen and Alicia, as we were rushing down the hallway that I couldn't remember where it was at. Then somebody, rushing just as fast in the opposite direction called out, "At the end of the hall...your scarf gave it away!" When I walked in, the man leading the panel said, "Ah, the Doctor is here so now we can get started." (by this time I had K-9 in tow.)

It is so cool to be recognized. At one point during my wanderings, I came across a group of guys-one of them said, "Oh, look, it's the Doctor!" and when K-9 came into his view, he said, "AND K-9!!! THAT IS SO COOL!!" I know I had a big grin on my face everytime someone said something to me. I couldn't help it. People would ask me where I got the scarf, and when I told them I made it, I loved watching their jaws drop to the floor. It wasn't only the scarf that brought attention-several people asked about my TARDIS key, and even K-9!!! While standing in line for the masquarade, a couple of people asked if they could take my picture. One man even came back to me later and said, "Ok, my wife is a big Doctor Who fan, and I know I took your picture before, but it didn't turn out, and I was wondering if you'd mind if I took another one?" Of course not! :)

I also learned something-I have always been hesitant to ask people in costume if I could take their picture-even after doing so for three years. One year there was a big group of Jedi, and I wasn't going to take their picture 'cause I was too shy to ask. Well, Alicia, knowing how I loved to take pictures and scrapbook Marcon, went and asked for me. After I took the picture she explained that I was a little shy, and one of the women in the picture said, "No, we don't mind at all-in fact, we love it when people ask to take our picture, lots of people do." I think I'm finally beginning to understand how they feel. :) :)

Comments