Marcon 39, part 1

D.W.Q.M.: "Sleep is for tortoises!" -the Fourth Doctor

...sleep? At Marcon?!?! You've got to be kidding me!! ;)

Friday, May 29th

Okay, before I start talking about Marcon, I have to say this- To Persephone, Thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you THANK YOU!!!! for coming to our rescue!!!!! We didn't get to Columbus until after 10 (don't feel like going into details here-lets just say everything that could go wrong...did! ;) ) Anyhoo, when the car situation became hopeless, we decided to ride the greyhound down-I called Perseph to ask for a ride to the station, and she asked what happened-after I explained it to her, she said she'd have to ask Paul, but if it was alright with him, she said she would drive us down to Columbus. She called back a few minutes later and said, "The man said yes! Let's go!" (and she was driving to Iowa the next morning to see our friend Heather!) She knows how much I love Marcon, and it was also Arthur's first Marcon, so she wanted to help us out. Sooo, we (me, Perseph, Alicia and Arthur) all piled into the car and were off! We made pretty good time, considering it was nearly 8pm by the time with left Cleveland.

When we got there, before checking into the hotel, Perseph stayed with our luggage and we ran to the registration room to try to register for the weekend-we missed it by 11 minutes! aarrrrgg...oh, well-we said goodbye to Perseph (after telling her how awesome she was and giving her some money for gas) and checked into our room. We could not have been there 20 minutes when I noticed that my dufflebag that had most of my Doctor Who costume was not in the room, and no one seemed to remember seeing it anywhere! I made a quick phone call to Perseph, who was coming up on a rest area, so she said she would pull over and check in the back of the car. I told her I was going to check the lobby to see if it might have been left behind there, and that I would have my cell phone with me. Arthur came with me-we got into the elevator, then it stopped on the 14th floor, and Dr. Demento got on!! It stopped again and more people got on, and then my cell phone rang-I tried to answer it, but it wouldn't let me-here I was in an elevator crammed with people shouting, "I keep hitting 'yes', but the phone won't let me answer it!!" When we got out of the elevator I checked with the desk, and they hadn't seen my bag-they told me I could fill out a missing item report and at that point my phone beeped because Perseph had left me a message. I told the clerk I would be right back, and told Arthur I was going to go outside to check the message, and he told me he was going to mosey around the bar area. I checked my message-Perseph found my bag!!! She couldn't believe it 'cause both she and Alicia had checked the trunk to make sure it was empty-we must have really wedged it in there! At this point I was just happy that my scarf that I had worked on for 9 months was found! (830/830 rows, baby!) Well, guess what? Perseph said that she was going to come back to drop off the bag! (Have I mentioned that Persephone totally rocks?!) :)

In the meantime, Arthur had gone exploring and discovered that since we had pre-reged, we could get our registration stuff from the Marcon Operations room. Woo-hoo! That meant we could do some late night gaming and wander the halls without being hassled. ;) He waited for Perseph while I ran up to get my badge, and when I came back, he went to go let Alicia know. A few minutes later Perseph pulled up and dropped off my bag (Thanks, again!!) I told her to call me when she got home. We finally settled in and decided to roam around the con. I stopped by the Farscape table to say hello, and then we headed to the gaming room for the midnight game of Settlers. (woo!) After that, Arthur decided to catch some anime in the anime room (they were showing the 'Read or Die' tv series) and Alicia and I decided to do a little more exploring before deciding to turn in. Ahhh...the weekend of total geekiness begins... ;)

Comments