In Memory

To my friends Sarah and Jerm and your entire family, I was very sorry to hear about the passing of your mother-in-law (grandmother) on Friday. I know the passing of a loved one is hard-I don't have much to offer, but I wanted to share this poem with you. I don't know who the author is, but it was found a few days after my father passed away-it helped comfort me a little, and I hope it does the same for you.

To Those I Love Who Love Me

When I am gone, release me, let me go
You mustn't hold me back with grief you know.
You mustn't tie yourself to me with tears,
But be happy that we had so many years.


I gave you my love. You can only guess
How much you gave me in happiness.
I thank you for the love you've shown,
But now it's time I traveled on alone.


So grieve awhile for me, if grieve you must
Then let your grief be comforted by trust.
It's only for awhile that we must part,
So bless the memories in your heart.


I won't be far away, for life goes on
So if you need me, call and I will come.
Though you can't see or touch me, I'll be near.
And if you listen with your heart, you'll hear
All my love around you soft and clear.


And then, when you must come this way alone,
I'll greet you with a smile, and welcome home.




...found tucked away among Craigs' private papers.

Comments