"The sky looks red...."

D.W.Q.M.: "Eurkea!" -the Third Doctor

Persephone, Northern lights take 2 was a success!!! Yay!!!

I went outside tonight (thursday) around 7pm EDT to wait for Persephone, Heather, and Jon (the four of us were going to dinner). I step outside my apartment, and notice that just above the roof, the sky was looking redder than usual-not 'the-sun-is-setting" red or 'hey-there's-a-fire!' red, but red as in 'northern lights' red. I couldn't believe it, since we've been disappointed the past couple of nights. So quickly ran around my building so I could get a better look, and lo and behold, I was seeing the aurora borealis!!! The northern lights! Here in Cleveland!!! I was soo excited-I gave Jerm a call 'cause a promised him I would (i hope he was able to see it from his apartment-there are an awful lot of trees in the direction of the display i saw) When Persephone, Heather, and Jon arrived, I began waving my arms around and pointing up at the sky-they were all like, 'what's with her?' I'm sure. ;) I said, 'look! it's the northern lights! Aurora borealis!!' Because of the light pollution, it looked like a rather small display, but it was still there! We only saw one major color-red-but it was soo cool!!! :) (ok, so I may get a little over excited about stuff like this-I can't help it!) :) ;)

According to NOAA, Region 486 is still the most active and continues to maintain a strong potential for further major flares, with region 488 also looking rather promising. I guess, compared to his buddies, region 484 is rather quiet. Probably feels a little daunted by the other two. ;) Seriously though, Europe has the best chance for a show from the latest flare (on Oct. 30th), but North America could be favored too. The geomagnetic storm accompanying the flares is ratede G5-the most powerful rating for a storm. Note to readers: believing Daily Show's geomagnetic storm forecast can be harmful to your intelligence-but pretty damn funny. ;)

BTW, just in case you are wondering, the aurora has been seen as far south as California, New Mexico, Texas, and Florida. Woo!

Oh, and since technically it is the 31st, I'd like to wish all my readers A Happy Halloween!!!

Comments