Witty little knitters

D.W.Q.M.:"Pity about the scarf. Madame Nostradamus made it for me. Witty little knitter...never get another one like it." -the Fourth Doctor

7 different colors of yarn: $15
Knitting needles: $4
Crochet hook: $2
Latch hook: $5
Spending quality time with Mom while learning to knit a 20 ft scarf: Priceless.

My mother can work wonders with knitting needles, crochet needles, and yarn. Over the years, she has knitted countless scarfs, hats, and mittens for us (one year, she noticed several of the kids in her apartment building didn't have mittens or gloves-so she made them all some mittens!!), she's crocheted little Christmas ornaments depicting the Nativity scene-ornaments that can be taken off the tree and used as finger puppets, not to mention several stuffed dolls of the Peanuts and other characters...and for my very first birthday party, she crochet little popular figures-Looney Tunes, Seseame Street, etc- to put in my pinata instead of candy (hey, you would think little kids would be disappointed, but let me tell you-there was nothing left!!) Alexis even sports a sweater that she knitted for me when I was little! :) I also have several little pins that she crocheted for me-a little graduate for when I graduated from high school, St. Nicholas for St. Nicholas day, St. Patrick for St. Patrick's day, and several others. So, of course, when I came up with this big idea, I approached her first! :)

Actually, my first idea was to have her make it for me. I have been thinking about making a costume to wear to Marcon one of these days, and I love the scarf that Tom Baker wore when he portrayed the 4th Doctor in Doctor Who. Well, I asked my mom if she would make me one for Christmas, and she said she'd think about it. Then I got to thinking, it might be fun to learn to knit (she taught me to crochet a long time ago-i think i made a scarf for one of my ken dolls once-but i have since forgotten how to do it) So I asked my mom if she would rather spend some time and show me how to knit. She liked that idea very much! So I downloaded a couple of different patterns for the Doctor Who scarf, and when I went up to MN, my mom and I looked over them and I picked one I liked (Tom Baker actually had at least 3 different scarves during his run as the Doctor). Over the next several days (during the evenings, actually), my mom patiently showed me how to do some basic knitting-how to cast on and off, how to change colors, how to fix small problems, and how to make tassels for the ends. She also showed me a couple of different techniques for doing different things (although the only ones I remember are the ones I am using). We really enjoyed working on it (despite the fact that it took me a while to get some stitches straight!)-I thought it was a nice mother/daughter moment. I am hoping to have it finished before Christmas, so I can show it to her when I go up there again. :) I've done 11 rows so far-and have successfully changed colors once, but I have a long ways to go-it might not really be 20 ft long, but it is pretty long-probably closer to 15ft...

scarf update: 11/???? rows (i'll check the actual number of rows later.) ;)

Comments