Random thoughts-the 'that's what's going on at work' edition

D.W.Q.M.: Range: "Systems that could rebuild a civilisation for us. Failure-proof technology."
The Fifth Doctor: "What happened to it all?"
Range: "It failed."

Ah, work. Not much going on really, so this may be quite a boring post. ;)

Our storage project is moving along...slowly! The other day I turned the corner and started on row 8...of 30. Linking the journals can be very tedious at times. A couple of my coworkers and I just started shooting the breeze of all the problems over there-misshelved books, not enough room to move the trucks around, journals that weigh a ton and fall off the truck if you hit even the slightest bump. We discovered what the mess was in one of the rows-it happened when B. was pushing his truck to put away some old and particularly heavy journals-he hit a bump, and they literally catapolted off the truck-one hit the ground spine up, and the pages just fell right out of the binding. Yikes!! Every time I walk by journals that are more than 35 cm tall, I say to myself, 'I hope I don't get stuck with those, I hope I don't get stuck with those...' Some journals can be a real pain-I love astronomy and all, but Russian Astronomical journals aren't so easy to search when you have no idea how to translate them! On the other hand, some can be interesting-particularly turn-of-the-century advertising....anyone know what a dress shield is? It's free of rubber and poisonous cement. (Dude, I am dead serious-that's what the advertizement said!!!) ;)

I'm still reclassifying the Deweys-still stuck in the 300s. For those unfamiliar with the Dewey Decimal system, the 300s deal mostly with laws, social security, taxes, etc. Pretty boring stuff-at least for me. Also, most of the stuff is pre-1960, so it's not like it's very usfull for everyday applications!! ;) Most of our library's Dewey collection is in storage, so after 300, it skips to 700 (literature, folklore, etc..) Actually, there is some folklore listed in the 300s that looks interesting. I had just started working on the last truck of "boring" Deweys when I was informed that the Approval plan should be starting up again, and I'll be getting new books soon. Figures...uh, I mean...YAY! ;)

Speaking of the Deweys, I was heading towards the section to grab more books when I happened to look up at the ceiling over Government Documents and noticed that one of the panels looked a little damp. Last time I saw a panel look like that, part of the ceiling had fallen onto the trucks holding the brand new approval books that were awaiting processing. I went to report it, and when I showed Gail where the problem was she asked if it was dripping. I said I hadn't noticed, but no sooner had I finished my sentence when we both witnessed several drops falling from the ceiling. D'oh!!! She called plant services so they could deal with it. I was up there just the other day-the shelves were covered in plastic and the ceiling panel had been removed and I could see the pipes-they were in terrible condition. State of the art...yeah, right! :p

We had window washers here the other day performing acrobatic stunts as they washed windows-as soon as they finished, it rained. Poor guys. (hey, the outside windows get washed so infrequently when it does happened, it's very entertaining.) I was up on the third floor when one of the guys who was just starting banged against the window-the student who was studying in the chair by the window looked rather peturbed.

For those of you who don't know, (which may actually be none of you...unless I have a reader who has no idea where I work! ;) ) The Vice Presidential Debate will be here in a little over two weeks. Hip, hip, horr...blah. It's gonna suck coming into work on the 5th of October. Parking/traffic will be a mess-the lucky ones are the ones who take classes and work on the Case Quad-they essentially get 2 days off! At first I thought I would luck out because I'm at storage...but storage is actually closer to where things might be happening. Perseph is being a saint and has offered to pick me up from work-so we can fight traffic and curse at crazy drivers together. :) LOVE YA, PERSEPH!!!! :) :) Okay, okay-I know this is supposed to be an important debate, and it's an honor to be the host of such an event, but I'm not a very political person, so this is really more of a mild annoyance to me. *sigh* Oh, well-and of course, CWRU people might not even get tickets to the event. Too many OIP (Other Important People) need to have tickets first. They are setting up a big widescreen tv in the library so people can watch, but you better have your CWRU id handy-I hear they will be checking!! ;)

*heh* I said CWRU, not Case!!!! Perseph, your mother-in-law will be so proud. ;)

Wow, for someone who said there wasn't much going on, I sure had alot to say! :)

Comments