Summer in MN, part 1

D.W.Q.M.: Time Lord: "I'm travelling incognito."
The Third Doctor: "Oh? Why?"
Time Lord: "We Time Lords don't care to be conspicuous." looks at the Doctor "Some of us, that is."

Well, since I was really lazy this week, and there are new Stargates on tonight, I'll save my tvjunkie files post for sometime this weekend (provided I don't get lazy again) and include the epiosodes that are on tonight...

So, for this trip to Minnesota, I actually wrote in my journal-the theory is it'll make it easier to type up in blogger, and I'll write about everything I want to...well, that's the theory, anyway. ;)

June 29th, approx. 11:30pm
Unlike my other trips to Minnesota in the last five years, I decided it would be cheaper for me to take the Greyhound, instead of fly...I was reminded why I prefer flying, and why it's been 5 years since I've taken the Greyhound. My bus was supposed to leave at 12:25 am. At 12:30 we were still waiting to board. Finally they started loading up the people who were preboarders, and filled the bus up. Only a few people originating in Cleveland got to get on that bus. When they finally loaded us up, it was quarter to one. Then we just sat there. Nobody came to tell us why we were just sitting there. We just sat there! Finally, an hour after we were supposed to have left, the driver got on the bus and said that they were waiting for another to show up (for transfers), but it never came. Thanks for telling us. Geez, it would have been nice to know why we were waiting.
I tried sleeping, but I don't sleep very well on the bus-although I try! Listening to Joliffe's(sp?) Omni helped. (Joliffe was formerly of the group Tangerine Dream, for those familiar with their stuff.) :)

So we get started an hour late-I only had an hour and 15 minute layover in Chicago-the hour was wasted in Cleveland, and we lost the last 15 minutes getting stuck in early morning rush hour traffic in Chicago. I got off the bus, grabbed my stuff, ran across the terminal...i don't even remember handing them my ticket!...and jumped on the next bus. All the people I promised to call in Chicago, I did from the bus. (sorry about that!) The bus was full, so I had to share a seat with someone (i was lucky on the first leg of my trip-my own seat!) But, the guy I was sitting next too wasn't bad at all-he didn't smell weird (those of you who travel Greyhound know what I'm talking about! ;) ), and he was quite nice. He was from Lakewood and had never been out of the state of Ohio a day in his life, and he kept pronouncing 'Minneapolis' wrong. :) We had a nice chat off and on, so that was cool. :)

Wisconsin always seems like it takes forever. We traveled quite abit between Minnesota and Ohio when I was in junior high, and Wisconsin was always the long leg of the trip. Trees, cows, cornfields, more cowss, cheese. ;) Here are a couple of interesting signs I saw along the way (although probably not as good as you'll find on shinycrap, they still amuse me. :) )
-Mars Cheese Castle (I kid you not)
-seen on an exit sign:
DairyLand
Dog Track
Greyhound
(don't know why, but i laughed when i saw it-must've been the lack of sleep...)
-Fond du Lac

We made it to Minnesota on time...well, at least St. Paul-we got stuck in afternoon rush hour traffic between St. Paul and Minneapolis. If you think I-90 is bad, then you need to try driving in Chicago, and on 35W in the Twin Cities!!! Uff-da! Jon picked me up at the station, and it must have taken at least 45 minutes to get through Minneapolis/St. Paul. My sister kept calling us to find out where we were. I kept replying with "oh, about 5 feet from the last time you called!" ;) Before we got to Shafer we had to stop in Ham Lake to pick up Kyle, who was visiting some cousins. As soon as he saw me he got this huge grin on his face and shouting, "Auntie Ella!! It's my Auntie Ella! Bye, guys!" I got a big, sweaty, kid-who-had-been-playing-outside-all-day hug, and it felt great! :-D When we got to Shafer, I got the same kind of hug from both T and Boo. :) :) :) :) My mom was also there, along with my sister (well, DUH.) LOL. I also got to meet their hound dog, Brutis. He's a little hyper for my liking, but after all, he's still just a puppy, and awfully cute. I think he'll grow on me. Now if only he'll stop getting into my luggage and pulling out my underwear. LOL. ;)

Comments