"This room is cursed!"

D.W.Q.M.: the Fourth Doctor: "Never cared for the word impregnable. Sounds too much like 'unsinkable'."
Lt. Harry Sullivan: "What's wrong with unsinkable?"
Doctor: "Nothing, as the iceberg said to the Titanic."
Harry: "What?"
Doctor:(while making a sinking gesture) "Glug, glug, glug..."

Once, just once, I'd like there to be a "normal" day at work this year...just once, only once!! It seems that so far, 2004 has been filled with nothing but problems.

I guess it has something to do with the sudden onslaught of books-we weren't getting any, complained, and now they're coming in huge waves!! As the backlog grew, we needed a place to store the trucks of books waiting to be received and the unopened boxes. Someone suggestsed the office that had just recently been vacated (after, like, 2 or 3 days) for storage. We got the approval from administration, so I put 3 trucks and 24 boxes in the there for safe keeping.

Thursday morning, I decided to look over the stuff and figure out what my student could do next when he came into work. I walked in and the first thing I noticed was the smell...
'Hmmm...' I said to myself, 'smells kinda fishy in here....' That's when I heard it-the distinct sound of 'drip, drip, drip' Slowly I turned towards the sound and looked up-a section of the ceiling had fallen and was dripping water-another section was obviously wet and looked like it was on the verge of falling... I followed the path of the dripping water, and my worst fears were confirmed: the chunk of ceiling had landed smack dab on two of the book trucks. "Oh, God!" I said quickly, and then walked out of the office in kind of a daze and said, "You're not going to believe this..." Quickly we removed the trucks from the office, I ran down to administration and was greeted by Gina. She asked if I was looking for someone and said that she was it-everyone else was gone. "Uhhh...you're not gonna like this..." She followed me back, took one look at the ceiling and said, "Where's the phone in here?" While she was getting ahold of Plant Services, Pat made a call to Sharlane, our preservationist-so she could assess the damage to the books. Amazingly, only 12 books were soaked-so she set them up next to the fan to dry out. I went in search of 2 empty trucks so we could remove the rest of the books and then clean the trucks that were hit by the ceiling. It was a pretty chaotic morning-not one that I would care to repeat anytime soon. Turns out the problem started from the third floor-probably from leakage from our supposedly state-of-the-art heating/cooling system and roof. Later that afternoon, Tony walked by, stuck his head into the room, laughed and said, 'This room is cursed!' Ah, well. ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------
I just realized (with Karen's help ;) ) that I never mentioned what my mom and I got my sister for Christmas. It was a model Carosaul with a music box in the base that turns while playing. The carosaul animals can be removed and placed in different orders. It also has a canvas top and mirrors in the center-it's approximately 1.5 ft in diameter. My sister absolutely loves it! When she opened it, she was speechless for a few seconds, and then said, 'Oh, WOW this is so cool!! She had absolutely no clue what we got her. My mom was really smart-the box it was in only had a piece of paper with it's picture on it-so she removed the picture, then placed it between several other unmarked boxes in her bedroom. My sister had gone in there several times since September and had no clue it was there the entire time!! ;)

Comments