Procession, not a parade! :)

D.W.Q.M.:Ian: "Vicki, I didn't know you knew about the Beatles."
Vicki: "Well of course I know about the Beatles...but...I didn't know they played classical music.
Barbara: "Classicalmusic?!"
Ian: "Times change, Barbara (lowers voice slightly) times change."

Before I go into the second day of the Feast, I have a little work related side note-here's a new one! One of the collection managers approached me today with a book with pages that seemed to be out of order. Upon further inspection, I noticed that there were pages missing, and it its place, were pages from a totally different book! Not even the same subject area! When I spoke to our vendor about it, she mentioned she had seen that before, but had no idea how or why it happens. :) Also-I get to be in a video! Sort of-our preservation department is making a video for new student employees, sort of a training video-the do's and don'ts, etc, etc. I don't have a speaking part, but I do get a credit! :)

Ah, now back to the Feast-the title actually refers to something that happened on Saturday, but I'll get to that later. Friday I woke up about 10 till 8 by the sound of my printer resetting itself! At first I was still a little groggy, and I wasn't sure what was going on, but then it dawned on me that my printer resets itself whenever it is plugged in, or the power comes back on! I did a quick run through my apartment-the fridge was humming happliy away, and the clocks and my tv were working! I even still had cable!! I also discovered that I was lucky and never lost water-yay!!! So I got ready for what is perhaps the longest day of the Feast. :)

I decided to stop by the gas station on the corner to pick up some bottled water (he didn't have the prices jacked, which was good) and made my way down into Little Italy-on the actual Feast day, they close the streets at 10am to get ready for the procession. It was only 10am and already quite warm and humid. Also, we were slightly worried that we wouldn't have a big turn out-we were missing some key people-like Pete, our percussionist. Well, it turns out (as it usually does when we are worried-we always try to make our best impression with the procession-hey, that rhymed! ;) ) that we didn't have to worry-Pete found us some replacements, and we had 6 trumpets and clarinets each, along with a pretty hefty bass section. Yay!! While we were lining up, I spotted several of my coworkers who had come to watch-I thought that was really cool. :) Also, the mayor was there-dressed in the suit she had worn the night before at her press conference-she had been up all night long, and still walked the procession! Wow-I would have been like, 'nite all! i'm sleepin'!' Especially with the temperature and humidity being so high. ;)

The procession went rather smoothly-nobody from the band had to drop out (hey, that's happened before) and as usual, several band memebers brought water bottles to make sure the rest of the band has enough water so we wouldn't pass out. There was only one water stop this time around, but considering the night before, we weren't too surprised. Most of the water was unsafe to drink-this water stop had water from bottles, but for most of our stops the water comes straight from the tap. It didn't matter much though-they shortened the procession by about a half hour-the biggest difference we noticed was that instead of walking all the way up to the corner of Adelbert and Murray Hill, we turned onto Cornell. That was ok, though! We weren't going to complain. When we came to the water stop, they had ice water for us-Tina accidently spilled some down my back-I was definitely startled by the ice cold, but no way was I going to complain about it! LOL. ;)

After the procession we hung out at Wayne's place-I tried working on my scarf, but only got about 3 rows done before I decided I needed a nap. But it was a nice nap in the AC. :) We started the evening events around 6pm, but we discovered that they wanted us to play until 11pm, instead of 10:30-also, instead of a sit down concert at 8:30, it was bumped up to 9. I must apologize to those who came around 8 expecting to find us in the area-I'm sorry! I didn't have a chance to warn you guys! I'm really glad that you decided to stick around though. :) :)

We started our neighborhood walk at the festival, and then we visited some shut-ins before going to a couple of parties. I know that some people may think visiting shut-ins may be kind of a downer, but I don't think so. First of all, Father Rocco gave us a list of people to visit-and usually doesn't tell them that he's doing it, so it's a nice surprise for them, and it shows them that he really cares about the parish community. Also, after we play, you should see the look on their faces-they are really glad that we took the time to come and play-they really appreciate us being there. It's nice to be appreciated, and it's nice to know that someone is looking out for you and wants to make sure you are a part of something, even if you can't get there on your own. Its all good, all around. :) It always puts me in a good mood when I know I've helped someone make their day.

My good mood even got better when I saw my friends at the Feast, waiting for our concert! Jerm, P^2, Andy, 'the Doctor' and Michelle were all there-I hope I didn't miss anybody. Also, Mike drove up from Dayton to play his trumpet-yay!! I even got to play first clarinet, and we played some of my favorite pieces from the black book! I can now say I've conquered (well, for the most part anyway) the 1st and 2nd parts to 'the Barber of Seville'. And I absolutely love playing 1st for 'Libiamo, Libiamo!' (just in case you don't recognize the name-it's been featured in the latest Quiznos commericals-they one where the guys house blows up, cause he left on the gas) :) :) Thank you Persephone for taking some pics for us! :) And I want to thank all of you again for coming! It really meant a lot to me-I have so much fun at these gigs (especially the Feast) and I get really excited when I have the chance to share it with my friends! :) I'm glad you all enjoyed it, even though it was still quite warm and muggy-thanks for sticking it out! :) :) Like I said before, it really meant a lot to me. :)

Afterwards we went over to P^2s house for a while to hang out and play some Cranium and Killer Bunnies. It was a long and tiring day, but a very good day for me. :)

Comments