Happy 50th Doctor Who!!!!!!


 
It's here!!  It's here!!!!   The 50th Anniversary of my most favorite television program on Earth!  Happy 50th Doctor Who!!!

I've been watching Doctor Who since I've been a tiny little thing.  My first episode was The Time Warrior.  Since I was so young, I didn't remember much of the story until almost two decades later when I finally got my hands on a VHS copy. (Yes you youngin's, BEFORE dvd/blu-ray players!) ;) The thing I remembered most from the episode was when the Third Doctor first met Sarah Jane. She had just walked into the room she was sharing with the Doctor and Prof. Rubish and tried to pull off pretending to be her Aunt Lavinia. (of course the Doctor saw right through that!) ;) 

Doctor Who was a family affair in our household.  Our local PBS station in Minneapolis, KTCA (now TPT, I think...) aired Doctor Who on Friday and Saturday nights-although they did try a little bit of everything, it seemed. Friday and Saturday were "newer" episodes-starting with Tom Baker's first episode, Robot. (before Doctor Who was syndicated by PBS and Lionheart Entertainment, different networks attempted to air Doctor Who at different times-in Minneapolis, Jon Pertwee's last season was shown on ABC (channel 5.)) We'd gather around the television at 10 pm on Friday and Saturday nights.  Sometimes my Dad would bring home A&W Rootbeer and Tostinos pizza as a special treat during Doctor Who.  When Trial of a Timelord aired during pledge season, I remember we had several family friends over to watch, and I think we made tacos! 

By the mid-eighties, KTCA started airing William Hartnell's episodes Saturday mornings.   While most children were watching Saturday morning cartoons, I was watching Doctor Who! 

I missed Doctor Who when it went off the air, and was excited about the 1996 tv movie (even though I was disappointed in it, I did grow to love Paul McGann's Doctor through his Big Finish audios.)  When it was announced that Doctor Who would be returning to television in 2005, I was really excited (even though it took over a year to come back to the U.S.).  And, I have to admit it, I was more excited that Elisabeth Sladen was returning as Sarah Jane Smith in School Reunion than I was that it was coming back to television. (can you blame me?  I had a huge grin on my face for days after I saw her episode.)  :-D 

I laugh at newbies who swear up and down that they'll never watch the show again when they learn the Doctor will be regenerating into someone new.  They'll get over it.  I was sad when Three became Four, and cried like a baby when Four became Five, but I eventually recovered each time. :)  I've enjoyed all the Doctors-I have my favorites, like some more than others-but I love 'em all-quirkiness and all!

Doctor Who's been around for 50 years-and I've been watching for well over half that time-I hope to be watching it for many more!! Allons-y! 

Geronimo!

Fantastic!

There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish, sometimes.

 

Comments