Halloween, part 2 Warning: images galore!

Hope everyone got out to vote today! I did-bright and early (because I knew I would be too tired at the end of the day) ;)

For my second Halloween post, I want to share the costume I made-no real character (although from looking at some of the pictures, I could be the Mad Hatter or a character from A Clockwork Orange...). I wanted to try making a Steampunk themed costume, because I've always loved Steampunk, plus the theme for Marcon next year is alternative history-it will work for that as well! :-)

To start off, I needed boots-and as I've mentioned before, my calves are entirely too thick for fancy boots, but I came across a pattern for knitted spats (see my entry in Roknits for more details). Here's a picture of me actually wearing them:

Next I wanted to work on a really cool hat. This is where it could get rather expensive, with goggles and clock pieces and all. After finding an inexpensive hat and pair of goggles at Halloween City, I decided I could make stencils of clockwork pieces and make some using cardstock from JoAnn's:

hat_goggles


(the colors are from Gemstones: Japser and Onyx)

Check out the stenciling:


Next it was on to the cutting-for the inner holes, I recommend a sharp xacto knife. (The first blade I tried wasn't very sharp-it was a rather harrowing experience. Fortunately, I had more blades.)
xacto cutting
First I cut the inner holes with the xacto knife, then used the scissors to cut the main shape...

Now, I did fill up both sheets with stencils-this is more than enough! ;)

hatandcogs
They are not all going to fit on this hat!!

Although the goggles had a nice tight band which worked as an anchor, I thought if I wanted to create a fancy design, good old fashion Elmers Glue would do the trick:

glue

Once I had the pieces together, I was able to slip them under the goggles band for the finished hat:
finishedhat
(Ta-daa!)

My costume:
halloweencostum2

The shirt, skirt, and waistcoat all came out of my closet. The shoes were ones I had worn for a friend's wedding, and the parasol was a loaner from my best friend (isn't it awesome?!?!). :-) ...too bad I blinked! LOL!

(I created this entry for the Halloween contest at Craftzine) :-)

CRAFT Halloween Contest

Comments