Hell hath frozen over...

D.W.Q.M.: "Who sold you on that? An Eskimo?" -Sarah Jane Smith (from the Fourth Doctor story, Seeds of Doom)

I never thought I'd see the day.

Case Western Reserve University will be closed tomorrow.

That's how bad the weather is. Case never closes. I've been on the phone all night with people-including my supervisor-he said it's official, we don't have to report into work tomorrow.

WOO! My first snow day as an adult!!!!!!!!!!

Today has just been crazy.

8:00am Radar shows all of Ohio covered in some sort of precipitation. Mostly snow, except for a slight line of pink, followed by a bit of green in southwest Ohio. Ohio is under a winter storm warning...except for the Toledo area...they are under a blizzard warning.

11:00am Karen, in Columbus, is worried about being able to dig out her car. Up here, the snow isn't that bad...yet.

1:15pm Her boss comes back from lunch-says it's only going to get worse-but doesn't let them go home. Ohio State has closed at this point. Snow has turned into freezing rain there. Up here, the snow has started to pick up-it's getting more and more difficult to see CIA or that monstrosity that they call the Peter B Lewis building.

3:00pm Downtown Cleveland closes-people start to head home. We're still here, but the admin offices are starting to get rather empty. ;)

4:00pm Carolyn and Suzanne decide to leave at 4:15 (their normal time is 4:30).

4:10(ish) Chatting with my sister in MN, I toy with the idea of leaving at 4:45. She thinks it's a good idea.

4:15pm Carolyn and Suzanne leave-maybe they'll see me at the bus. (I hope they are joking)

5:00pm Staying until 5 after all, I finally leave. I get to the bus stop, and Suzanne is still there. Kathy's been there since 4. Carolyn managed to squeeze onto an already over-crowded bus. There hasn't been a 9 or 6 bus since then.

5:09pm Standing in the crowded bus shelter, I decide to walk home-there's no guarentee that I'll be able to get on the first bus that shows up anyway. Call me insane, but I did it anyway. I head down Adelbert towards Murray Hill.

5:21pm Reach Murray Hill, and start walking towards Edgehill. At this point I am silently cursing myself for totally slacking off on the exercising these past couple of weeks, as my calves start to hurt.

5:25pm Begin the slow, torcherous climb up Edgehill. (I had decided that although Mayfield might have been quicker-it's also steeper-and with all the snow and the way my legs were feeling-if I had fallen, I might not have been able to get back up again.)

5:32pm I made it to the top!! Is the worst over> Depends on your point of view, I guess. ;) My glasses have started to freeze up. The wind and the snow seemed to be coming from all directions. My cheeks are starting to feel kind of hot-and I silently thank my Mommy for the nice long scarf, headband and tam she gave me several winters ago. ;) I'm also thankful I pulled my warmer gloves from the basket this morning.

5:41pm Hit Kennelworth..I think it was 5:41-it was hard to see with my glasses.

5:45pm Finally hit Mayfield...then end is near! I decided to walk on the side of the street with the cemetary, so I could use the fence as a guide and possible support. Halfway up the street, I pass a guy walking in the opposite direction. We both smile, wave, and chuckle at the thought that we are not the only ones impatient enough not to wait for a bus. At this point, traffic is backed up to Euclid heading east. Heading west, the road is pretty empty. I can see the glowing read sign at the Marathon station at the corner. Huh. Gas is $2.35.

5:55pm Mayfield and Coventry!!!!! The snow drifts seem worse. I'm pretty sure I haven't been walking in a straight line-I can barely see out of my glasses. I decide to walk in the street for a bit.

6:09pm HOME!!!! I must have shaken off at least two inches of snow from my coat, hat, scarf, backpack and purse.

7:00pm Snow is still falling at the rate of 1-2 inches per hour. The weather guy says we may even hear thunder from time to time. There is still a blizzard warning to the west-now it's as close as Sandusky.

Snow is still falling, and the snow plows are moving rather slow. I'm just glad I made it home-the walk was rather tiring, but I survived. (hey, I was raised in Minnesota-I'm used to this kind of weather!! ;) )

However, after being scolded by
Perseph, I promised her that I would call her before walking home in terrible weather again. :)

Comments