Not your mother's spinoff...some thoughts on Torchwood.

D.W.Q.M.: "It was your instincts and intuition against my logic, and you succeeded." -the First Doctor, to Barbara

I was reading an interesting post over at
Torchwood.TV by Raxacoricofallapatorius, which got me thinking...

...would Torchwood make it over here in the U.S.? Where would it air?

Actually, I had been thinking about that since I saw the first couple of episodes, Everything Changes and Day One.

We had been warned about the swearing so much that I was expecting F-bombs to be dropped every other line. When it finally did happen, it was in such a setting that if this were a real life situation, yeah, I'd expect to hear F-bombs being dropped. Not family friendly, but not so outrageous that you're gonna say, 'Oh come, on! Enough already!!'. And then there was the talk about sex in episode two-actually, I didn't know what to expect, and I have to admit, I was taken slightly aback (me still being quite naive about watching such things), but again, not to the point where I was going to complain about it.

Like Raxacoricofallapatorius, I was wondering, if this show did come here, where would it air without too many edits? My first thought was Showtime-that would be the only place I could see this show coming edit-free...maybe HBO, but I think it would be more at home on Showtime.

Then I read some of the comments and realized there are some channels on basic cable that might pick up Torchwood (if they thought there would be an audience, of course), with only minor edits. Spike, for example. Anyone watch it late at night? You should see some of the programming-and the commericals-especially for their late night hours (hey, I have a CSI and MXC addiction, so yeah, I'm seeing those commericals.) And then there is FX...oh! FX. Home of Nip/Tuck...ah...Nip/Tuck. My sister loves that show, and when it had it's season premiere, my sister told me I should watch it. I was only half watching, and when I looked up, I was greeting with Sean, as Christain "politely" put it, 'porkin' a potential nanny for his baby in a motel.

Also, I bet some of us think that there's no way SciFi would air Torchwood. I was one of them-remember, my first choice was Showtime...but look at Battlestar Galactica-there have been several times this season where the show starts with a 'Viewer discretion is advised' warning. Also-remember LEXX? Bizarre and risque -that's what LEXX was.

What it boils down to, is that if we can somehow show there is an audience for it, I'm sure Torchwood would find a home. I've only seen four episodes so far, and I'm enjoying the series.

Would I show it to my nieces and nephews? No, probably not-not until they are older.

Would I show it to my Mom? The jury is still out on that one-she may seem like she might not enjoy Torchwood, but I've known my mom to enjoy things that I thought were too risque for her. ;)

Comments