Ro vs. the Elevator

D.W.Q.M.: Ian: "Where's your spirit of adventure, hm?"
the First Doctor: "It died a slow and painful death when those bats came out of the rafters."

There are times when our "library of the future" doesn't seem so futuristic. Why must everything keep breaking down?

The other day I had to bring some microfilm I was linking from the second floor back down to the first floor. I took my truck, loaded with microfilm, and headed for the elevators. After waiting a bit, elevator #2 opened up and I pushed my truck inside and hit '1'. The doors closed, the elevator hummed, the display went from 2 to 1, and the elevator dinged like it was going to open...

...only it didn't open. The arrow indicated that it now wanted to go up, but the elevator itself didn't move-it dinged a few more times, the arrow still pointing up, flashed 'LL' briefly, dinged some more...and just when I thought I was going to have to hit the emergency button, the elevator chocked and opened up to the first floor. I quickly got out and on my way back up, I took elevator #1.

I was chatting with Jerm about my experience. We have been hosting new student orientation receptions here, and he mentioned that scaring new students and their parents to death was probably not the best introduction to the school. I agree. "Hello, welcome to our school-here, ride the elevator. It hasn't eaten anybody...today." Jerm said 'well, at least you survived with only minor emotional scarring, and you know which elevator is safe.' Yup!

...or so I thought.

Later that same afternoon, I had another truck full of microfilm that needed to go back downstairs. This time I waited for elevator #1 to arrive. I got it, hit '1' then waited. The indicator light on the button went out, and the doors remained open. Frustrated, I hit '1' again, and the doors started to close, but then opened before they had completely shut. I poked my head out to see if anyone was trying to get on the elevator. No one. Sighing (exasperated sighs), I hit '1' and the doors finally closed and I made it to the first floor without further incident.

The repairman has been called, but the part needed is on back order...or something.
*sigh*

Elevator 2, Ro 1.

Comments