December Night Sky

D.W.Q.M.: "But we're still heading for the biggest bang in history." -Sarah Jane Smith

author's note: I originally wrote this during my lunch hour-but blogger was acting funny, so I couldn't post it til now.

Okay, okay, okay-I know this is REALLY late-I do apologize! I finally found my copy of Sky and Telescope...I didn't

think there would be anything too exciting before today, but it shows how much I know. ;)

Today's astronomy post is brought to you by Sky and Telescope

Planetary Alignment

Starting tonight (December 10th), when Mercury passes inferior conjunction, the planets will be in their natural order outward from the Sun in Earth's sky. It will last until the 13th, when Pluto leaves the evening sky. They say such a lineup is rarer than the transit of Venus, and that they haven't been in their proper order westward from the sun since before the invention of the telescope. It's not going to happen again for at least 4 centuries. (I dont' know about you, but I won't be around. Planetary alignment eastward from the sun is equally rare.

Last time that occurred was in 1801-it's not going to happen again until 2333!

Observer's note: Only the planets Venus through Neptune are observable during this event. But just knowing the rest are in order is cool enough, in my opinion. ;)

Geminids

The December meteor shower!! The Geminids are quite unique. Most annual meteor displays are the result of comets passing by, leaving a trail of debris in their wake. The Geminids, on the other hand, does not come from a comet, but the psuedo-asteriod-comet, Phaethon. :)

They say that this year, the Geminids display may even surpass the Perseids of August. Up to 75 meteors may be seen per hour under ideal conditions. Since the Moon will only be a two-day old crescent, you don't have to worry about the moonlight. The peak is around 2 am local time on the 14th, but since the radiant (near Castor) is so high, good viewing times can start as early as 10pm on the 13th. They say that the rates will increase steadily up until the maximum and will drop significantly after that. However, meteors seen after the maximum will be very bright. :)

For more information, and to find the link to the star chart, just click here. :)

And now, because this month's copy of S&T got lost among all the boxes of Christmas decorations, I will tell you what you missed. I'm sorry, I have to say something, 'cause it's still cool (hey, it was cloudy here anyway.) ;)

Occultation of Jupiter

Just like last month's occulation, Jupiter disappeared behind the moon for a few minutes during the wee hours of December 7th. The event started around 4am EST with Jupiter disappearing behind the moon, only to reappear on the opposite side,
around 5am. (assuming I've calculated the times from UT correctly)

To read one lucky observer's account, and to see a cool animated display of the occulation, click here. :)

Clear skies and happy viewing!!!

Comments