Success? I hope so!

I think I managed to successfully migrate my blog!! There were a few hiccups though.
First, Blogger couldn't reach my ftp account. I wasn't sure who wasn't talking to who, but I finally managed to get Blogger to sign into my server. Not really how I wanted to spend my lunch hour, but since I'm still working with dial up here at home, I wanted to do the migration with a more reliable connection.

Then I started the migration process-everything was going smoothly until I got an error from Blogger-it couldn't reach my ftp server again. They gave me a link to download all the files I needed, and instructed me to upload them manually (which, by the way, is what you have to do if you waited until after May 1st to update your blog. The migration tool was designed to do most of the work for you, while it still had ftp support.) Since I couldn't access my server at work, I had to wait until I got home. Just for kicks, I decided to see what my blog looked like in it's current state, since Blogger did say my new site was live. To me, it looked like everything was there, except for the images and coloring in the template. It took me a while before I realized what was wrong with the template. It was a simple mistake-since I was publishing using ftp, Blogger didn't have to know where in internet land the css file and images were for my template-it just needed to know the right directory to look into on the server. Once Blogger started doing all the publishing again, it got confused and didn't know where I was pulling the old files from. Once I realized the problem, I typed out the full address in the template, and now the images, structure, font, and coloring are correct. *whew*

As for the problem with loading files-I think I may have reached my quota for the day, so the system couldn't finish the migration. However, I checked some pages in my old blog, and the correct tags seem to be in place, for the most part. I checked some entries from 2006 and ended up with a missing page. I received a note from someone on Blogger, and he seems to think everything is in place. Also, I glanced at the files on my server-it looks like most of them are there... Maybe the issue has corrected itself, or the server hadn't registered all the changes when I checked the old blog. Since my entire archive is available here, I can take my time to check the old links.

Speaking of old links, I still have to clean up a few of my sidebar links, but I've updated most of them. I replaced my list of books with a widget to my goodreads account, plus a couple more widgets. Hey! Now that I'm back with blogger, I have an rss-feed! (see post below).

I think that's it for now. I gotta find time to write up another post for Relay, plus I want to post about this weekend Go, Twins!!

Comments