Relay 2010, update 1: the setup!

Wow, what a Relay! This year was quite a challenge with the weather (well, it is April in Cleveland, after all). First it was rain, then wind, then chilly temperatures, and even a few snow flurries! ;)

All last week the weather had been calling for rain, but by Friday the chances had diminished quite a bit. It was drizzly throughout the day, but had pretty much gone by about 4pm. However, the wind picked up! It took Brian and I nearly an hour to put up our tent. Because of the sprinkler system, we weren't allowed to use stakes in the ground, so that provided to be a real challenge. As Brian retells the tale, I was in the back, holding down the tent while he was trying to set it up in the front. There was this huge gust of wind, and I screamed as it nearly took me out. Brian calls 'Are you okay?' and hears me say 'I'm ok!' in a tiny voice. LOL. Finally, a couple of guys came over and asked if we needed any help. ;)

They did provide sandbags-sort of. The sandbags were these gallon sized bags from Walmart that you could fill up with pool filter sand. Unfortunately, the bags broke easily, so we had to come up with other methods. At one point we had 2 recycle bins and one trash bin in our tent, to hold it down as we found other methods to keep it from blowing over. We ended up with two spare tires and a cooler on the inside, and about 10 "sandbags" around the posts on the outside. We even let the team next to us use our tent to house there stuff so we would have extra weight! ;) (the didn't have a tent) We were lucky than most-by the end of the night most tents had blown away or collapsed. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to take a few pics of our initial set up-by the time we checked in, got our tent up and unloaded the van, it was 6pm!

Our team met up in the middle of the field for the opening ceremonies. After CWRU's president, Barbara Snyder, spoke the Survivors did a lap around the track. I was a little sad to see that there wasn't as many this year than last year, but I hope it was because the weather turned some people off. After the survivor lap, it was time for the team lap. Brian, Perseph, Ron, Mark and I were there for the team lap. I had made everyone in our team headbands, and I was thrilled that everyone wore them-even the guys! :) We had a different sign this year-I think it may have been a bit longer. All I know is that the wind made it feel like it was going to whip us away at any second! ;) We did two laps as a team (go KSL! ;)) Afterwards, Perseph and I did about 4 more laps before breaking for dinner.

Yikes, that's all I have time for today. More updates coming soon! And hopefully I'll have pictures! (by the way- thank you, Jess, for taking a picture of our team holding the banner!)

Comments