The 2018 Perseids

This past weekend I spent Saturday night to Sunday morning at Observatory Park for the Perseid meteor shower!  This was my third Perseid overnighter at OP.  I set up just before 8pm Saturday night and my friend Jynjyr joined us for a night of counting meteors. I started officially counting around 9:30 pm and finished up around 6 am. (woo!)

Total count for the night: 70.  My record is still 201.  The weather wasn't perfect-the humidity was in the 90s, and it was on again off again clouds.  Also-lightning from Canada-I kid you not!  CANADA.  We started noticing lightning flashes around 11 pm-they were bright enough to wreck havoc with our night vision.  I kept checking the radar and there was a fairly large storm cell around London, Ontario-but nothing on the U.S. side.  It was quite fascinating (and annoying-as I mentioned before-it messed with our night vision). 

I was hoping to get some decent meteor shots-and was really excited-this was my first Perseid shower (although not my first meteor shower) at Observatory Park since purchasing a new wide-angle lens (14mm) for my Pentax DSLR last year.  Unfortunately the clouds and humidity it seemed to be more of a hassle and I quickly abandoned taking photos and just concentrated on counting meteors.  Maybe next time!

It's been a while since I posted photos-ever since Picasa was discontinued, I have been hesitant to use Google photos on my blogs (actually, I've been lazy to set it up.)  It's about time I start posting photos again, so I'll use my first (and so far, only) image of a Perseid that I captured in 2015:
A Perseid and the Pleiades : August 13th, 2015
 Nite all!

Comments