The Great Pumpkin Addiction

My name is Romana, and I have a pumpkin problem. :)




I don't know when, or how it started, but in the past few months, I have come to realize that I have a problem. ;) I love pumpkins!! I already have the Libbys pumpkin for Thanksgiving and Christmas pies.


Last weekend I went to the Country Living Fair down in Columbus with my friends Bob& Julie. Of course, this was my favorite display:

(by the way, this was a really cool trip-will have to post more about this before the season is over ;))


I was the one who insisted on trying to grow pumpkins in the Garden@Case-since the garden was new this year, we didn't really know what to expect-certainly not this!


At one point we had 5 pumpkins growing-unfortunately, two rotted out, and a third was picked and then tossed on the sidewalk by vandals. *arrrg* I really, really wanted the surviving pumpkin, so with the help of my coworkers, we brought this bad boy home!


We weighed the pumpkin using my bathroom scale-it is about 85 pounds!!! I have no idea what I'm going to do with it for Halloween, but for now, it looks nice on my steps...

(Linus couldn't be here for a photo-op ;) )

So as the Fall Holiday issues of magazines started rolling in, I found lots of cool pumpkin receipes, and I thought-wouldn't it be neat to make something with pumpkin every week?

Yeah, I should've stopped there...

But, no, of course I didn't-and walking to and from work gives me alot of time to think to myself. This is what I came up with:

There are eight weekends from October 1st to Thanksgiving. Why not challenge myself to make something with pumpkin every weekend, leading up to the Thanksgiving pies?

Probably should've stopped there...

So I started telling folks that I was going to try this. I'm not going to be snobbish about it, though-I'll use canned pumpkin, puree pumpkin from pie pumpkins, and even a pumpkin bread mix. The idea will be to try to do something different (and yes, two different types of pumpkin cookies count!)

Hopefully I will have time not only to make pumpkin-ny things, but to post about them as well. I've already got the first two weeks' ideas.

To kick it off, I'm going to try to puree my own pumpkin. Bought a couple of pie pumpkins on Sunday:

(aren't they cute?)

If successful, I will use the puree to make pumpkin butter for week two. If not, I will use a smaller can of Libby's pumpkin that I purchased, just in case. ;)

So this is the official kick-off post-YAY PUMPKIN!!!!! :-D

Comments