well, ain't that the pits...

D.W.Quote: Harry Sullivan: "Look here, Doctor, you're not fit."
the Fourth Doctor: "Not fit? Not fit? Of course I'm fit. All systems go."
Harry: "I say! Look..."
the Doctor: "Heartbeats."
Harry: "I say, I don't think that can be right."
the Doctor: "Both a bit fast, are they?"

Arrrg....SO not the way I wanted to spend my first weekend home from vacation. Waiting for a stone to pass. Bloody hell. It's still in there, too-I can feel it-taunting me.

I woke up Friday morning in pain. To make a long story short-I have a kidney stone. Blah. However, that didn't stop me from playing at Mt. Carmel this weekend. Armed with painkillers, a HUGE bottle of water, and my clarinet, I headed over to the west side and had a good time. I was a little uncomfortable by the end of the first night, but I think that's because of the chair I was sitting on. I had a different chair last night, and didn't have any trouble at all.

The turnout this year was WAY better than last year! Although Saturday night was a little light, turnout for the procession early Sunday afternoon was much better-we had 16 musicians. That's twice as many as we did last year! Rich and I were not the only ones with melody this year! Yay! Sunday night we lost a couple of people, due to other commitments, but we gained just as many, if not more, than what we lost. We sounded pretty good!

Weather-wise, not too bad. Saturday night was quite muggy, but Sunday-although warm and sunny-the air was drier, and there was a nice breeze coming off the lake for the procession. Sunday night it was actually cool! However, that 'nice breeze off the lake' turned into quite a pain, as our music went flying around. At one point, Nick lost the entire clarinet section as our music went flying all at once.

Tons of fireworks during the procession. We could actually see some of the colors! Now, I'm a big fan of fireworks-however, having them explode in your ear when you're playing can be rather annoying. I'm not too fond of those giant snakes-they are too loud, and the smoke is awful. If it's gonna be loud, it better be pretty-and the snakes are definitely NOT that. Several times I had to step out of formation because my eyes were starting to water due to the smoke. I think there were 3 fireworks stops this year.

We only had to play 118 three times this year!
It seems each major festival has it's favorite- Mt. Carmel: 118 (Onore D'una Banda) Holy Rosary (the Feast): Marcia Reale (ooh, I know I just butchered that spelling...) and St. Rocco's: Roxie's Theme.

*yawwwnnn...* I'm getting a little tired, so I think I'll call it a night.

Comments